For the library housebound home delivery service-
Do you meet one of the following criteria?
- Do you have a permanent physical condition that stops you from safely visiting the library?
- Do you have a temporary health situation (eg medical leave due to surgery) that stops you from safely visiting the library for several months? You can use the service until you've recovered.
- Are you in your third trimester of pregnancy or do you have a baby under six months old? You can use the service until your baby is six months old.
- Are you elderly and have health conditions that make it difficult for you to safely visit the library?
How to apply
Please contact our Housebound Library Assistant
or speak to staff at your local library.
The service is free and covers the whole of Porirua.
What the service entails
- The Housebound Library Assistants will select items for you, based on what you like.
- We will give you an extended loan period of 42 days on most items, with exceptions on popular or high-demand items such as DVDs, magazines, and new books. We do not charge overdue fines.
- We will deliver items to you about every six weeks at a time that suits you.
- A driver will deliver the books to your home, and collect your previous loans at the same time.
- Our Housebound Library Assistants will keep in touch with you to ensure your needs are met.
- We aim to be as flexible as possible to give you the best service we can.
- Normal print books (fiction and non-fiction).
- Large print books (fiction and a small selection of non-fiction).
- Audio books (which are listened to, rather than read). We also provide a selection of audio books loaned from the National Library. You need to have your own CD player to use these items.
We can discuss your preferences when you apply.
If you are able to make your own way to the library, or get a friend to do it for you, there are other options available that aren't the full housebound service.
- Free audio books and an extended loan period of 42 days for "visually impaired" or "assisted" borrowers.
- An extended loan period of 42 days can be requested when you're having items issued if you're unable to visit more frequently.