No more late fees at our libraries
Porirua City Council voted to remove overdue fines from 1 July. Existing fines will also be waived at this point. Porirua libraries are scrapping overdue fines, in a move to remove barriers and make libraries more welcoming and accessible for all.
What happens if a library item is lost or not returned?
- First, get in touch with us!
- We want you to be able to use the library and can offer two renewals if the title doesn’t have a waiting list.
- If you have an item more than 3 weeks overdue, your library privileges will be suspended.
- This means you won’t be able to borrow, reserve, or use our eResources (like Libby) until items are returned.
- Items will be considered Lost if they are 6 weeks overdue and you will be charged the replacement cost.
- The lost charge will be removed if the item is returned.
Will all my library debts be waived?
- Only overdue fines will be waived.
This does not apply to lost or damaged item charges.
Can I still renew my library items?
- Phone us on 04 237 1533 or renew online.
- Visit our website porirualibrary.org.nz and look for the Login button.
- Login with your library card number and pin/password.
Will the timeframe for reminders change?
- More frequent overdue reminders will be sent to the contact details listed on your library card.
Pay your library fines & charges online
For lost or damaged library items
Porirua City Council
03 0547 0240008 000
Code: Library fine
Reference: Your library card number*
* This is really important otherwise we won't know it's you!
Contact our Administrations Officer if you have any questions
telephone (04) 237 1533 or